Bring your family, friends and a picnic to enjoy a fantastic summers evening of outdoor theatre, brought to you by the Lord Chamberlains Men, as the all-male cast perform this fast-paced production of one of Shakespeare’s finest plays.
This play of soaring poetry, high comedy and tender love, Shakespeare’s late, great gem, examines the power of true love, our capacity for vengeance and what it takes to forgive.
Brief Plot Synopsis
Twelve years ago, Prospero, Duke of Milan, usurped and exiled by his
brother washes up on a distant and mystical island with his baby
daughter, Miranda. A place where his magical powers reign
supreme and the only inhabitants of the island, the sprite Ariel
and brutish Caliban, answer his every command. In this strange
new kingdom, he is left to brood.
“We are such stuff as dreams are made on”
Peter Stickney, The Lord Chamberlain’s Men Artistic Director, says, “With some of Shakespeare’s most memorable speeches and packed with famous characters – from the elemental and ethereal Caliban and Ariel to the comic clowns Trinculo and Stephano and the enchanting force that unites them all, Prospero – The Tempest is a spectacular play and will make fantastic viewing for a summer’s evening. A truly theatrical play like this, set outdoors and in our trademark style bursting with song and magic makes for an evening not to be missed!”
With Authenticity, Excellence and Magic being the watchwords of the company we can expect another summer treat as The Lord Chamberlain’s Men bring their own special brand of all male Shakespeare to Woburn Abbey. Be sure to catch this brilliant company perform Shakespeare as it would have been; all male, in the open air and in full Elizabethan costume with traditional music and dance. A performance not to be missed!
What should I bring?
- The show will go on whatever the weather so bring appropriate clothing, even the warmest summer evening can get chilly later on!
- You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own picnic, for safety we ask that you do not bring glassware but instead use plastic.
- Please bring your own blankets or seating as seating is not provided.
- There will be a short interval with refreshments available to purchase.
- The venue is strictly no smoking.
- Access on the evening will be via the entrance signed "Sculpture Gallery" not the main visitor entrance. please click here for a map