Bring your family, friends a picnic and a blanket to enjoy a fantastic summers evening of outdoor theatre, brought to you by the Lord Chamberlains Men, as the all male cast perform this fast-paced production of one of Shakespeare’s finest plays.
Brief Plot Synopsis
Twelve years ago, Prospero, Duke of Milan, usurped and exiled by his
brother washes up on a distant and mystical island with his baby
daughter, Miranda. A place where his magical powers reign
supreme and the only inhabitants of the island, the sprite Ariel
and brutish Caliban, answer his every command. In this strange
new kingdom, he is left to brood.
“We are such stuff as dreams are made on”
“Be not afeared. The isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.”
Now his enemies, his brother Antonio, who supplanted him as
Duke, and Alonso, King of Naples, whilst sailing home are blown,
by fortune, off course towards him. Prospero raises a
tempestuous storm that shipwrecks them. Scattered across the
island the boat’s passengers are tested and tormented as they
are magically drawn towards their fate. Left to plot his revenge
for years Prospero finally has the chance to exact it. But will he?
This play of soaring poetry, high comedy and tender love,
Shakespeare’s late, great gem, examines the power of true love,
our capacity for vengeance and what it takes to forgive.
What should I bring?
- The show will go on whatever the weather so bring appropriate clothing, even the warmest summer evening can get chilly later on!
- You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own picnic, for safety we ask that you do not bring glassware but instead use plastic.
- Please bring your own blankets or seating as seating is not provided.
- There will be a short interval with refreshments available to purchase.
- The venue is strictly no smoking.
- Access on the evening will be via the entrance signed "Sculpture Gallery" not the main visitor entrance.